The Beginning of York Canine Association
On the Homepage you can see the actual wording of the announcement in the Yorkshire Herald regarding the formation of York Canine Association. There had in fact been two previous meetings before the announcement and from records still in our possession it appears that the Victorians quite liked holding committee meetings as in that first twelve months of its creation the Association held twenty seven meetings including an AGM and a Special Meeting ! The Association was formed on the 20th November 1891 but officers and committee were not elected until December 23rd 1891 so that the Association may be said to date from this day.
The very first show was held on the 21 July 1892. Classificiation was for only one breed, namely Rough, Smooth and Puppy Fox Terriers which obviously suggests that the founders were all good old terrier men. Entry fee was 1/- per dog.
1st prize was a collar and chain, 2nd prize a chain and 3rd a collar.
Winners in Class 1 - Roughs
1st Mr Blackburns Nunthorpe Olive
2nd Mr Waddingtons Monty
3rd Mr Thorpes Darius
Res Mr Nuttalls Gip
Winners in Class 2 - Smooths
1st Mr Layburns Wallace
2nd Mr Atkinsons Lady Regent
3rd Hearfield & Moses Holgate Vixen
Res Mr Blackburns Ebor Nap
Winners in Class 3 - Puppy
1st Mr Layburns Bruce
2nd Mr Larges Clifton Ebor
Best in Show was Mr Layburns puppy "Bruce" - the show was reported in the Yorkshire Herald.
The next show (members only) was on Thursday 28 September in the Settling Room, Corn Exchange for non sporting dogs. Seperate classes were for St Bernards and Collies and other classes were to be announced. The judge was a Mr Hellewell of Sheffield for a fee of 2 guineas and again prizes were collars and chains. The club authorised payment of £1-1.0 to the the Kennel Club. It was stated that at this show the following colours would be worn; Judge, white; Committee, blue; Vet, red; Secretary red, white and blue. Two ring stewards were appointed and 52 dogs were entered. It is also stated that the veterinary surgeon would examine each dog prior to benching.
During November 1892 it is stated that the Honorary Secretary, Mr Thomas Turner had been elected an Associate of the Kennel Club and would receive, on behalf of the Association, the Kennel Gazette every month which would be kept by him for inspection by the members. The KC had also forwarded a copy of their Stud Book for 1891.
In January 1893 the Association had 172 members. At the AGM of that month the Honorary Secretary Thomas Turner was noted the sum of £3-3.0 to go to London and interview a Mr Charles Cruft Esq. as to the details of the next show in 1893. The show on the 6/7th June would be held under Kennel Club rules and Mr Charles Cruft would be the show manager. At that time the Patron was confirmed as H.R.H The Duke of York.
Past and present officers and commitee are all very proud to be connected to York Canine Association with its interesting and historic past to the canine show world in its infancy and we all understand and value the importance and responsibility of carrying it through into the next century ..........